Sunday, November 5, 2017

Twilight: Rewritten (Chapter 2)

One thing I want to mention before I get too far along is that what I'm doing is just writing. I am really not doing any kind of editing at this point, so I realize that what you're reading is very raw. I'm sorry if that bugs anyone, but my goal at this point is just to get everything written and then go back because I have an issue of getting partway through a story and just stopping. If you've read my blog, that's probably pretty obvious. I do best writing short stories where I can get all my ideas out at once. I'm hoping this one will fare better since I actually have the story fairly complete in my head which is a first honestly. Anyway, I will hopefully get chapter 3 written and posted between now and Tuesday. I have classes all day tomorrow so I don't expect I'll get anything done then.


I was woken up by a light tapping on my knee. I opened my eyes slowly, blinking owlishly as I looked around in confusion. It took me a second to reorient myself and remember where I was.

"Sorry to wake you, girl, but we're here," Duane told me, gesturing at the small house before me.

His words shook the final remnants of sleep from me as I leaned forward and took my first look at my new home. I was relieved to see my red Xterra already sitting in the driveway. It had been simpler just to have it moved along with the rest of my possessions rather than making the almost 1,500 mile drive myself. I was already paying to have everything else moved and moving it as well had proved to be much cheaper than I had expected.

The house itself was as picturesque in person as it had looked online. I'd never rented a house before and I'd been more than a little apprehensive, certain I'd made a huge mistake renting it sight unseen. But the outside of it at least, left nothing to be desired. It wasn't fancy, just a simple one bed, one bath brick house covered in ivy and surrounded by large trees that were just beginning to change color. I loved it. It was exactly the kind of house I'd always dreamed of living in.

Duane was kind enough to help me carry my bags to the porch, wishing me luck and telling me to give him a call if I ever needed anything as he left. I waved until he was out of sight before turning back to the door. I took a deep breath as I slid the key off the chain I wore around my neck and slid it into the lock. The heavy wood door opened with a loud creak. I shivered at the sound. It seemed ominous somehow and I could feel my nerves threatening to get the better of me. I hesitated another moment, suddenly reluctant to actually step inside. What if this was a huge mistake? What if I walked in and the place was a disaster? What if the pictures had been a lie? What if, what if, what if. It was the rain that made the decision for me as a sudden gust of wind sent it spraying under the porch and onto me. I yelped in surprise as the cold water trickled down the back of my neck and under my shirt. Grabbing my bags, I scurried inside and slammed the door behind me.

Shaking my now damp hair out of my face, I fumbled along the wall for the light switch. With the curtains closed, it was almost impossible to see anything. I was just beginning to panic thinking that maybe there was no light switch when I found it. I braced myself as I flipped it up, preparing myself for the worst.

As I blinked against the sudden brightness, I found myself facing the small living room. It was a complete mess of boxes and furniture but it was clean with a charming wood stove directly across from me and a matching log holder already filled with wood next to it. I turned towards the kitchen and was relieved that here again, the pictures had not lied. It too was small, but the appliances were all new, the gorgeous oak cabinets and drawers opened easily and were clearly designed to maximize space and there was enough counter space that I could cook comfortably without feeling cramped.

A quick tour of the bathroom and bedroom proved that the house was lacking in no way. I gave a deep sigh as I stepped out of the bedroom back into the living room, letting out all of my pent up anxiety. I sighed again as I sank into the one armchair I'd brought, relief flooding me as I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. The house was perfect. Now all I had to do was unpack and organize everything. I groaned at the thought of the amount of work before me. It would take several days at least to get everything in order.

For a moment, I toyed with the idea of getting a head start on things and emptying one box, but quickly changed my mind. I was too tired to make that much of an effort. Hauling myself to my feet, I dug the tank top and sweatpants that I usually slept in out of bags I'd dropped by the front door and stumbled back to the bedroom, stripping off my damp clothes as I went. I had to dig through two boxes before I found the heavy blanket and pillow I was searching for. Tossing both on the bed, I quickly slipped into the shirt and pants I'd grabbed, shivering slightly in the cooling air. I twisted my hair into a loose bun before turning off the light. Using my cell phone as a flashlight, I hurried back to the bed and wrapped myself in the blanket. I snuggled into its warmth and let sleep claim me.

No comments:

Post a Comment