Monday, November 6, 2017

Twilight:Rewritten (Chapter 3)

I had someone ask me when the lead male is going to appear. All I have to say right now is patience. It'll probably be another couple of chapters. I really want to develop my female lead and give a clear picture of her life so the differences between before and after him are obvious. You'll likely meet him before the end of the week, so just be patient. All in good time.


It was after one in the afternoon by the time I woke up. I dragged myself out of bed and went to the window, pushing aside the curtains to look out the window groggily. The day was once again overcast, but the clouds hung lower today and the threat of rain was heavy in the air. My grumbling stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten in nearly 24 hours. I began to head for the kitchen before remembering that I had yet to go shopping and the house was completely devoid of food. Groaning, I dug through boxes for shampoo, conditioner, soap and my other bathroom supplies. Thus armed, I marched into the bathroom to try to make myself presentable enough to go out into public.

Despite my desire to get out and go shopping, I had to admit that the shower was pleasantly refreshing. I studied my face in the mirror as I dried my hair, trying to decide if I felt like putting out the effort of applying makeup. Normally I at least wore concealer and foundation with a bit of blush to even out my complexion, but I had noticed the previous day that without the harsh sun of the desert hitting my skin, it actually looked quite pretty. I walked back into the bedroom and opened the curtains wide before turning to face the mirror that leaned against the wall. My skin looked smooth, almost flawless, which was a feat in and of itself and I was certainly paler than usual; no one here would guess that I was a Latina though my skin was still too dark for me to be taken as a pure white girl. I shook my hair over my shoulder and took a moment to admire how the darkness of my hair highlighted the paleness of my face. I'd never considered myself to be really pretty. I figured I was average at best, but looking at myself now, I actually felt pretty for the first time in who knew how long.

My consideration of myself was stopped as my stomach reminded me that I still had not eaten. It took me a few more minutes to find some clothes that weren't horribly wrinkled. I resigned myself to starting a load of laundry once I got back. I looked far from fashionable as I collected my purse and keys, dressed as I was in an old hoodie and even older jeans. But I was warm and comfortable and that seemed more important at the moment than looking cute. Fashion was never something I'd cared much about anyway.

It was drizzling as I stepped out the door. Locking the door behind me, I made my way down the stone path to my car, admiring the little garden that I had been too tired the day before to appreciate. Despite the approach of fall, the flowers were still in full bloom, adding a cheerful spray of color amidst all the green. I took a deep breath as I watched the raindrops gently shake the delicate petals of the flowers. The smell of rain was one of my favorites and here the scent was almost constantly in the air.

I was more than a little damp by the time I climbed into my car. Shaking my long hair back, I started the engine and turned on the heater. With the radio on and playing 80s music, I backed out onto the quiet street. I found navigating out of the neighborhood to the main road through town relatively easy. From there it was just a short drive to the Olympic Highway.

Although there was a Thriftway in Montesano, I'd decided to make the 15 minute trip to the Walmart in Aberdeen. Considering everything I needed to buy, the supercenter seemed to be the more practical choice. Plus, according to the all-knowing Google, there was Starbucks directly across the street and there was no way I could pass up the opportunity to get one of their teas and maybe a slice of pumpkin bread.

The drive was beautiful with the last couple miles running beside the Chehalis River. I was delighted to see that the Walmart sat right along the river and began to seriously consider going for a walk on the path that ran behind it after I finished shopping. The parking lot was less crowded than I had expected, a bonus since I hated shopping when the place was crawling with other people. I was equally pleased to find that the store was well-stocked and well-organized.

I cringed slightly at the total of everything, but reminded myself that I would not be buying the same amount every trip. With the amount of storage space I had at the house, I would probably only need to go shopping every two weeks at most and most of that shopping could be done at the local Thriftway.

I loaded my many bags into the back of my car, thankful that the rain had stopped so I didn't have to rush. I debated on whether or not I should just drive to the Starbucks, but decided to tempt fate and walk the relatively short distance up the street. I sat outside to enjoy my tea and bread, savoring the sweetness of the bread and the slight tanginess of the tea and marveling at my luck that despite the occasional threatening rumble of thunder, the rain held off.

My luck didn't hold though. The rain began to fall again as I walked back to my car, still sipping on my tea. Deciding to save my walk along the river for next time, I climbed into my car and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment